Posts for tag: Consultation
Your pediatrician can help prevent infections and keep your child healthy through simple checkups.
It’s only natural to bring your child in to visit one of our Fairfax, VA, pediatricians when they are dealing with a high fever, sports injuries or stomach problems; however, it’s also a good idea to make sure that your child is visiting their pediatrician regularly even when there aren’t experiencing any problems. Making sure that your child visits the doctor annually (as well as comes in for school and sports physicals each year) is an important measure for every parent and child to take to pinpoint certain health problems and implement preventive measures to reduce their risk.
What is involved in a well-child checkup?
Whether you are bringing your baby into our office for the first time or your child has been coming to us for years, there are certain aspects that you can expect every time you visit our children’s doctors. These elements include,
- A full physical examination
- Going through and updating your child’s medical history
- Monitoring vital signs (e.g. heart rate; blood pressure; temperature)
- Documenting height and weight
- Administering appropriate immunizations
- Discussing your child’s diet, exercise, sleep habits and overall lifestyle
- Making sure that your child is reaching certain developmental milestones
As your child gets older there are other screenings and preventive care that may occur during their routine checkups. Some of these include,
- Blood pressure screenings
- Hearing and vision screening (usually around the age of 3 years old)
- Blood tests to rule out certain diseases
When should I bring my child in for well-child visits?
It’s best to follow the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommended schedule, which includes visiting the pediatrician at
- 2-5 days old
- 1 & 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 2 years
- Every year until age 21
By staying up-to-date on your child’s checkups you can prevent illnesses and injuries, pinpoint problems early on when they are easier to treat and help your child lead a healthier life.
Let the pediatric team at Virginia Pediatric Group in Fairfax, Herndon, Great Falls, and Aldie, VA, provide your growing child with the gentle, tailored and compassionate care they need to grow up big and strong. Schedule their next routine checkup today at (703) 573-2432.